The New York City Price of Life Invitational scheduled for fall 2013 is a city-wide, campus-based, faith-inspired campaign addressing human trafficking in all its forms, sponsored by InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, World Vision, and a diverse coalition of organizations.
Posts tagged art
- Think Tank II: Social [MEDIA] R[EVOL]UTION - How does good go viral? 08.25 | 10 AM - 2:30 PM | 250 W. 80th St.
- Just Art II: The line between truth and propaganda - How to make (good) art for good? When making art for justice’s sake, where does the line between art and propaganda blur? How can artists avoid gimmicky art when representing important issues? 09.13 | 6:30 PM - 9 PM | IAM, 38 39th St, 3rd floor.
- Just Art Poster Challenge: We’re calling visual artists to design a flyer exploring the concepts art, message, truth and propaganda for Just Art II (above). We’ll feature the winning design and award several prizes. Submit entries to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 24 at 9 AM. More info here.
Beauty in simplicity
It’s one thing to hear speeches and watch documentaries about human trafficking.
But there is something so alluring and powerful about expressing oppression through abstract forms of art.
Above are photos from the Women Hold Up Half the Sky exhibit at CAST’s From Slavery to Freedom Gala.
The main installation composed of stringed lines of letters of hope and encouragement to trafficked victims stored in plastic pockets.
Talk about beauty in simplicity, right?
What is your response to the exhibition? Or do you have any inspirations or personal ideas for art for social justice? Comment or tweet responses!
Art has an incredibly powerful role to play in moving people’s hearts, in a way that raw logic cannot do! Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos.
We’re so excited about how we can use the passion and talent of working and student artists as part of the Price of Life Invitational. If you’ve got artistic talent to share, get in touch. We can’t wait to see how your creative work will help inspire people to think and act differently.
Taking Act:ion! - Arts competitions
This week the Price of Life team spent a couple exciting days with our friends from World Vision, plotting and planning. InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is proud to have World Vision on board as our partner for the Price of Life campaign in fall 2013.
Specifically, we’re working with Act:s, World Vision’s super cool activism network. (Do you follow them yet?) They’ve got an exciting new web platform that makes it easy to create and share resources to take action around numerous important issues, including (but not limited to!) trafficking. Check out their site to see weekly challenges and get inspired about how you can take act:ion today. (And be sure to stop by InterVarsity’s curated page! Our team member Jonathan made a video!)
As we move closer toward the Price of Life Invitational, we hope to use the Act:s platform to generate new resources and tell stories around the issue of trafficking through arts competitions of various kinds. We’ll need
- volunteers to help run the competitions
- artists to dream and create
- people of all types to share and respond
Do you have an idea to share, a story to tell? Get in touch!